- Born in Munkacs, Hungary.
- Taken with family to old factory near railroad tracks. Forced to live in this temporary ghetto for several weeks in terrible conditions
- Put onto cattle cars and told by Judenrat that they were being sent to work on Hungarian farms
- Soon realized being sent to Poland.
- Arrived in Birkenau and Issie separated from mother and sisters.
- Unknown prisoner told Issie, who was 14, to say that he is 18.
- Issie and father are taken to Mauthausen. Father is sent to his death.
- Issie taken to Melk, Austria (50 km from Vienna) to build tunnels through mountain using air hammers
- Issie’s job was to carry used steel points away from work site and bring them to blacksmith to be sharpened. With access to fire, Issie was able to burn wood into charcoal, grind it to a powder and give it to people sick with dysentery.
- Camp in Melk surrounded by German air force base. Often bombed by Allies resulting in casualties among the prisoners.
- Once 2 boys who were wounded in air raid taken to SS hospital, treated and fed and then displayed to the Red Cross to show how Germans treat their prisoners. Later, same boys were brutally murdered.
- Transferred to a camp in Ebensee, in Austrian Alps.
- Liberated by American troops
- Issie remembers many stories of Jews trying to continue to perform mitzvoth in the camps. i.e A man who kept track of the Jewish calendar and reminded the prisoners of Jewish holidays/On Yom Kippur, trying to recite the tefilot by heart with other prisoners/ climbing into an overturned steel cart to make a bracha on the sukkah etc.