- Rabbi Jacob Jungreis was born in Derecske, Hungary. His father was the rabbi of Szeged.
- His family was deported to Auschwitz in June 1944.
- Unknowingly, the family had become part of the Kasztner group that was sent to Bergen-Belsen and ransomed to the Jewish-American community in December 1944 for $5 million.
- The group then continued on to a Displaced Persons camp in Switzerland.
- Rabbi Jungreis arrived in the United States in March 1947. He is presently the Rabbi of the Israel Center of Canarsie, Director of Yeshiva Ateres Yisroel Day School, and a member of the Museum of Jewish Heritage’s Speakers Bureau.
microsoft word - 6428.pdf
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/ (put DP camps in search box)