- Charles Friedman was born in Jena, Germany.
- His parents sent him to a Jewish school in Leipzig after Kristallnacht.
- His father, along with the other men of the town, was sent to Buchenwald in November of 1938. Mr. Friedman and his parents were the only ones able to escape. His other family members were all transported east and killed.
- Mr. Friedman emigrated to the U.S. in 1941 and attended high school and college in New York.
- Mr. Friedman has organized many Kristallnacht commemorative programs. He has spent time in Germany speaking to high school students about his experiences. Mr. Friedman also wrote the forward for Juden In Jena, a book describing Jewish life in his hometown.
Leipzig Jewish Communtiy (prior to WWII)
Article from Yad Veshem
Jews in Germany prior to 1933